Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Crates for the Storage Bed

Hey guys!  I am loving this spring weather we've been blessed with in Texas this week!  Perfect building weather:)  I finished the storage bins for the full sized storage bed I build last week. 

I designed my own plans for these.  My goal was to achieve the most amount of storage space with the least out of pocket!


I started with two 8ft. sheets of 1/4" plywood.  I had the guys at Home Depot rip each sheet at 10.5" x 8'.  I also purchased two 1 x 10's.  (You can have them cut the rest of the measurements but I just used my miter at home).

Here are my measurements:

1/4" plywood:

12 - 10.5 "x 10.5" (sides of crates)
12 - 10.5 "x 28" (bottoms, back and front of side storage crates)
6 - 10.5 x 24 (bottoms, back and side of the end of the bed storage crates)

1 x 10's:

4 @ 29.5" (face of side storage crates)
2 @ 25.5" (face of end of the bed storage crates)


These are the 1 x 10 faces.


I used Gorilla Glue Wood Glue for every joining piece

and followed up with my Ryobi battery-powered nailer.


I used 1/4" plywood to make the entire crate to maximize the storage space. 

Here is where the 1x 10's come in.  For aesthetic reasons I did not want to use the plywood for the face of the crates so I used a ton of Gorilla Glue Wood Glue to attache the 1 x 10 to the front of the crate.  No nailing needed!

I left it to dry....

Crate 1 down:)

After building 5 more crates it was time to stain!  I stained the storage bed with Minwax Dark Walnut and I wanted a contrast for the crates.  I went with my gut and purchased Minwax Special Walnut and applied one coat to the face of each crate.

I followed up with one coat of Minwax Polycrylic in Clear Gloss.

Now for the handles!

I purchased this rope at Wal-Mart for $4.97 and it was more than enough!

 I found this big ol' drill bit in my hubby's tool box and it was the perfect size for the rope!

Next I measured where I needed to drill for the handles.  On the 4 side crates I marked at 19 3/4" and 9 3/4".  On the short end crates I marked at 16 3/4" and 8 3/4".  I placed the marks 6.5" from the bottom of the crates.

I drilled each hole...

and then cut 6 pieces of rope at 28".


I pushed one end through the front of the crate and tied a knot at the end

and I followed up with the other side.

To keep the crates from scratching the storage bed...

I purchased these felt pads at Wal-Mart for $4.97.

These are easy, just pull off of the sheets and stick to the bottom of the crates.

I put four on each crate.

Now the reveal!





I purchased the bedding at Wal-Mart, on clearance, for $10 marked down from $39!  The throw pillow was $1 down from $10! 

I am going to build a headboard for this next and I have changed my mind on the one I am going to build.  I fell in love with the Reclaimed Wood Headboard on Ana's site!

I think it will finish this look of nicely!  In case you were wondering, my 7-year-old is in LOVE with his new bed!  He has asked to take a bath and go to bed early every day for the last week!  The new will wear off but it's nice for now;) 

Hope you all have a great Spring Break with your families!

~Ashley







post signature

8 comments:

LoriD said...

What a perfect bed for a boy! I'm actually going to attempt some boxes like this for under my daughter's daybed - maybe with wheels, maybe with just the felt pads so I can get a deeper drawer.

TeenaBugg38 said...

I love this!!!! It is brilliant!!!

joetterer said...

I want one!

Deborah said...

It looks fab, well done. I love the rope handles, nice touch :)

Bee happy x
Have a delicious day!

Pamma said...

What a creative powerhorse you are! This is fantastic!
~Pam
pamspaintparlor.typepad.com

Anonymous said...

Wow, very creative and impressive. Looks awesome and really functional!

Candice said...

Amazing! I wish I had the equipment to copy you!

Mom in High Heels said...

You did a great job! Brilliant!

 
Designed by Deluxe Designs