Thursday, March 11, 2010

Cameron Drawers

The building and painting is done!!!!  I finished the drawers this weekend and they were super easy!

I got the plans for the drawers and the rest of this system over at Ana's site, Knock Off Wood.   If you like name brand furniture without the ridiculous price tag head on over to her site!  She offers plans for free!!!

She does offer a cut layout for 1 drawer but I had to do 2 and I didn't have enough scrap wood left over.  So, here is a cut layout for 2 full drawers using 3/4" MDF.

After first step.

All of the sides complete.  This is just a very simple box!

Adding the face... I am using Ana's technique in this pic..worked great!

Gorilla Glue Wood Glue is a must for this entire project!

I poured a ton of Gorilla Glue Wood Glue all over the front of the drawer before attaching the face.

Using Ana's technique, I layed the face over the front of the drawer and made sure that there was equal space around the perimeter.

***  Ana suggests nailing the face onto the drawer but I did not want to deal with covering the nail heads.  Gorilla Glue Wood Glue is strong enough that no nails are needed.  After the drawers were dry, I carried them upstairs by the faces and they didn't budge!!! *****

I painted the drawer faces with Behr Leapfrog (satin) and distressed the edges.  I then followed up with Minwax Red Mahogany Stain and wiped off the excess. 

***Ana also suggests using 18" undermount drawer slides but I just placed the drawers in the bases without them.  I did not want to fuss with getting them lined up.  I'm sure it would be nice to have them but I have no complaints:)***

Now for the hardware!!!

Because the face of the drawer is attached to the front of the drawer I needed a cabinet screw long enough to reach through 1.5" of MDF.  The screws that come with the knobs are not long enough so I used this "thingy" to solve my problem!



It carved out layers of the MDF so that a standard screw would fit!  And it makes such a clean hole!

I found these cute knobs at Lowe's!


Screwed them in and that was it!
I'm so excited to have this done and in my gameroom!  I still have several ideas up my sleeve for this piece that I can't wait to get started on and of course share with you all!

~Ashley


Lisa Leonard Designs


Go check out the great vintage bling over at Lisa Leanoard Designs!

 post signature

20 comments:

The Inspired Nest said...

You have done such a great job on this! I have had fun living vicariously through you on this project! The anticipation of seeing it all done is killing me! I can't wait to see how you style it up!

Sjn said...

I may just have to give this a try, thanks for posting!

Jeanette said...

Incredible!

~ Regan said...

OMGoodness! Im dying to see the finished units all set up!!! I would love to make this too, can you give us a recap on all the tools/hardware/supplies you needed?

Amanda Lee said...

This project turned out great! You should be really proud of your accomplishment!

Amy said...

Wow that is incredible! I love your paint color and the distressed look as well!

Sleepyhead Designs Studio said...

Can't wait to see it in your room all set up! What was your final total cost??

Heidi said...

The suspense is killing me! Can't wait for the final reveal. :)

Kara Clayton said...

So, even without seeing it all together and finished, I'm pretty 100% sure I'm going to like yours better than Pottery Barn's!!! :-) My favorite color is green so that helps but you really did such a great job...so much so that I'm thinking when we buy a house this year, I may give it a shot!

Joy@Thrifty Parsonage Living said...

What a great job you are doing on this project. I love the color with the contrast of the knobs color. I have been following for a few months and really enjoy your blog. I have added you to my blog list and would love it if you would come over and visit my new blog.

Anissa said...

WOW, amazing!

Shannon said...

Hi! I have been checking your blog each day to see this project finished! I cannot wait. Once we saw it, we checked out Anna's blog and started our own. We are ready to paint and I was all set on white till I saw your green!! It is so cute. My husband is pressuring me to paint, but I don't know what baskets I'd get to go with the green. Will you please share what you are doing to accessorize it soon? I need to see what you do with the green before I decide and he just wants to be done! Great job!!

Sherron said...

Brilliant solution for the thick drawer faces. I have wanted to put drawer pulls on my dresser, but the front is thick and I couldn't find screws to fit (didn't look very hard, I have to admit!) but now I have a solution! Thank you!

Unknown said...

That looks so fantastic!!! Great job!

Unknown said...

Awesome! I'm a HUGE fan of Ana's site and am just waiting for my husband to get home (he travels a lot) so I can get him on board to help me. This is wonderful - you did an incredible job!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

You creative gals are totally outa control. :) LOVE this unit! I think Ana should hire you to make all her plans. Whadda partnership that would be!

Thanks for linking up to SNS!
FJ Donna

Kendra@Creative Ambitions said...

So impressed!! Love all your creativity...glad I found ya!!

extreme personal measures said...

Awesome! Following you from Funky Junks Saturday Nite Special!
Come by for a visit!
http://extremepersonalmeasures.blogspot.com

Nancy @ Live love laugh said...

I have seen Ana's plans-but what you did with them! WOW!
~Nancy

Rustique Gal said...

Wow, great job! I haven't had that much ambition in a few years, but I love to see how easy you make it look. Maybe I'll get brave and try a project on a smaller scale. Great inspiration for us all!
Sherry

 
Designed by Deluxe Designs