Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Shanty Spotlight ~ Beneath My Heart

Hey Guys!!  So we wanted to introduce you all to our very first Shanty Spotlight...




Her name is Traci!  She has an amazing blog... Beneath My Heart

We have been inspired by many of her posts and asked her to share some of her goodness with you guys.  Please lavish her with comments:)!!  She has done well...

You can visit her blog and see what she's all about HERE!!



Hello everyone!

My name is Traci, and I am so excited to be Shanty2Chic’s first “Shanty Spotlight”! I am the mother of four terrific little boys and the wife of a loving (and super handy) husband.

I became a follower of Shanty2Chic when the Shanty sisters first started a few months ago, and I have enjoyed all of their wonderful projects.

So when they asked me to be a guest on their blog, of course, I was honored. I wanted to pick a project to share with you that was truly “shant-y-licious”. So I decided to share my recent chair re-do.

Check this out!

IMG_3128

I got this chair at Goodwill for $6.50.

Now this poor little chair could definitely be called “Shanty”, don’t ya think?

But I looked past that and saw the potential for it to become truly “Chic”.

Here’s what I did…

First of all, I decided to paint the chair black. I used Valspar spray paint in satin from Lowe's.

Then I used a fine grit sandpaper to sand down the edges a bit.

As you can tell by the picture below, I left the chair in my garage too long without supervision.

One of my boys thought it would be fun to tear the material off the chair, thus the result…

IMG_3908

Oh my, that is reeeeeally “shanty”!

But I didn’t let that stop me. I still had my vision…

The chair now needed a little more cushion to it, so I used my staple gun to apply some extra batting to the seat and back of the chair.

IMG_3909

Now it was ready to cover with my material.

Of course, I chose burlap. My current obsession!

I started with the seat, using my staple gun to secure the burlap.

IMG_3910

I cut the fabric around the arms of the chair, folded it under, and then stapled it down. (This part was not easy, and it did not turn out perfectly, but it still looks good to me!)

IMG_3911

IMG_3912

When I saw the extra burlap hanging below the staples, it looked like a cute little ruffled skirt. That’s when I decided that I wanted to add a skirt to the chair. (The above pictures were taken at night in my garage, so the burlap looks darker.)

Next, I covered the back of the chair using the same process as I did on the seat.

IMG_3943

Then I stapled and trimmed the burlap on the back of the chair.

IMG_3947

Next, I stapled on a piece of burlap to cover the back of the chair.

IMG_3948

Now for the skirt…

I placed the cording in the middle of the burlap, folded the material over, and sewed it up using my zipper foot. Then I trimmed the excess material.

IMG_3913

Notice I didn’t even use pins when I sewed. I’m dangerous like that!

IMG_3914

I made a long piece of burlap that measured 5 inches wide and sewed a small hem. Then I pinned some ruffles in the material. I didn’t even measure them the same length apart. I just eyeballed it. That’s how I roll.

IMG_3926

I attached the cording to the skirt, and sewed them together.

IMG_3927

IMG_3928

I made some double cording and hot glued it over the staples on the back. (I will be explaining how to make the double cording in a future post on my blog.)

IMG_4071

Then I attached the skirt with my staple gun.

IMG_4072

IMG_4073

IMG_4079

I bought this chair for $6.50.

I bought about 4 yards of burlap from Hobby Lobby when it was on sale for $1.99 a yard. That’s $8.00, and I have some left over.

I already had the black spray paint, cording, and staples. So this whole “shanty to chic” transformation cost me about $15.00!

I’m loving that!

For a little extra “chic-ness”, I made a little pillow to go with it.

This picture was taken in our master bedroom, but I made the chair to go in our guest house.

IMG_4165

Here it is in our guest house…

IMG_4142

IMG_4150

IMG_4152

Well, there you have it!

My shanty…. to chic!

IMG_3128 IMG_4150

Thanks for letting me share my project, and please come visit me at my blog, Beneath My Heart, for more furniture makeovers, crafty projects, and of course, a bunch of burlap creations!






Blessings,


We will be linking this up to the Shabby Chic Cottage for Transformation Thursday!

The DIY Show Off









post signature

64 comments:

Anonymous said...

Traci this is adorable! Love everything about it, but especially the little skirt. Too much fun. Great job!

pk @ Room Remix

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Ahhhhh I love this!!!! So pretty!

Suzanne said...

This post came at the perfect time for me because I'm going to reupholster a chair similar to that one in the next few days. The double cording is an awesome idea -- I'll have to use it for my chair too! Thanks for sharing.

Jill said...

Love it! The pillow definitely finishes it so lovely!
~ Jill

Evidence of an Artistic Life said...

Bravo!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Traci, you are so clever. You did such a great job on this chair. I have a tub chair that I want to tackle, I think I will give it a try. Great job. Hugs, Marty

Love the Decor! said...

Beautiful and the pillow was the perfect touch!!

Heidi said...

wow Traci, it looks great! (and I really want to live in your guest house!)

Jen said...

NO way! I would have never believed it was the same chair if I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes. Great project and great spotlight!

Room to Inspire said...

Traci did a fabulous job! I can't believe how great it looks in its new duds!

Chelsea

Tara G. said...

What a fantastic job, Traci! The pillow is super cute, too!

Barbara Jean said...

Great project, and great job sharing.

blessings

barbara jean

The Giffen Family said...

LOVE that chair!!! Love it...and I might be just as of a fan of that ca-ute "blessings pillow" adorable! How'd you whip that one up (I think I could possibly figure it out - but some tips would never be bad!)

Thanks for sharing -- I'll have to check out more of your shanty transformations

Jenny said...

Wow, that's an awesome transformation! I would think burlap wouldn't be very comfy to sit on, but it sure is gorgeous!

Sandra said...

Perfection!

Kim @ Twice Remembered said...

Cute as a button! She made it look so easy! Beautiful!

{oc cottage} said...

WOW!


m ^..^

Crafty Sisters said...

I love it! You need to teach us how you did that double cording!

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh Traci!
As always a job well done. I so love this post. Awesome chair with the little pillow being the perfect touch. Thanks so much for sharing today. I so love it when you do.

Country hugs sweetie, Sherry

~ Regan said...

Very Cute!!!

Unknown said...

probably one of the CUTEST chairs I have seen. The chair skirt ruffle makes its PERFECT

HouseMama said...

You definitely picked the right blogger for your first Shanty Spotlight - what an awesome transformation!

Blondie's Journal said...

Traci, you did it again. Thanks for the tute!! You are the best!! :-)

xoxo
Jane

Funky Junk Interiors said...

I'm with HouseMama! Wonderful spotlight!

Fab tutorial, wonderful pictures, great place to read it all! The chair is adorable and the pillow with the ribbons?!? Perfection. :)

Donna

Jennifer@Pieces of Me said...

SOO Darling! Love the burlap! Now I need to make a run to joannes or somethng and get me some!!!

Unknown said...

What a transformation! I can't wait to transform a chair! I better start searching for one on craigslist. Thanks for sharing!
Michelle

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

very cute!

Unknown said...

Traci,
Great job, love the ruffle and the pillow.
Sandy

Gail said...

Oh Traci what a transformation! I love the chair. AWESOME job.

brokeintrovert said...

Wonderful job! I want one! You're very talented.

Alisa D. said...

Okay, you two are amazing! I just found your blog from Funky Junk Interiors, immediately bookmarked it, and am immediately in love. The chair looks fabulous!!!

duchess said...

Beautiful job - definitely worth the spotlight.

cindy said...

Totally awesome....definitely worthy of the first shanty2chic feature! Love all your projects Traci :O)

Amber said...

Traci - This is amazing! I love it!!!!

Roeshel said...

Traci - it's gorgeous! You did a fantastic job! Thanks for the great tutorial too!

Love the new feature, Ashley & Whitney!

Thanks for linking to the Show &Tell!
Have a great day everyone!

Roeshel

Tricia said...

Oh my goodness! I need to go upholster something in burlap!! I was a little skeptical at first (what with the itchy factor), but when the finished product looks that fabulous, it could be made of thumbtacks! I would still have it in my house. Love it!!

XO*Tricia

Leanne said...

The chair looks gorgeous. I love the pillow too. Thanks for sharing.

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

This is amazing! Such a beauty and I love the burlap!

Anonymous said...

This is such a fabulous chair makeover! I love Traci's blog!

Belles Beautiful Blessings said...

Awe! I love it. So simple yet pretty. Fabulous job!

Blessings!

Paddywack Designs said...

Absolutely fabulous... I so love it! THe skirt especially!

~Crystal~ said...

So cute! And you make it look so easy! :D

Heather said...

Beautiful...I am so impressed and inspired!

Team Skousen said...

Super deeee duper cute!!! I love the last minute idea for a skirt.

Mikael@starter home to dream home said...

If only I was so talented! Can she come to my house and help me? Awesome work!!!

Suesan said...

Now thats why I'm talking about!! My kind of redo! Its fabulous!! I love that you just went with it, not strict on measurements etc, just go!

Dreams of Perfection said...

I've been following her blog for a while now. She is such an amazing and beautiful person. What an awesome job she did on this chair! And adding the skirt has just made it even better. Great job Traci!

Mandi Shandi said...

Oh, this is love! That chair is fantastic and so is the tut you put together for us. I found your blog a week ago through the Shanty sisters and I am so glad that I did! Thanks for sharing, and thanks to the Shanty2Chic Ladies for featuring such a fantastic blogger!

Ms. Bake-it said...

I love it! Great job Traci. You make it look easy enough to tempt me to try it myself!

Thank you for sharing it with us!

~ Tracy

Amanda said...

Wow! That chair is adorable! Great job Traci!

Rich, Britt, Nate, and Tate said...

I love it! We are getting ready to redue some chairs for our kitchen table. I am wanting to do burlap for them this is a great tutorial.

Anonymous said...

What an adorable chair!! Love the sweet pillow for an accent too and the ruffle- too cute!

Mandy said...

Love it! Traci's blog is fab - I love her, too! Great spotlight!

Om Kareem أم كريم said...

I love this transformation! I just bought material to cover 2 chairs but I've been afraid to start. Now I feel like I am ready, thanks to your tutorial. I love your blog, Traci. God Bless.

Carissa said...

Amazing!!! Every time I come on this site, I leave saying...AMAZING!!!

Sarah said...

It turned out so chic! It is absolutely wonderful, it looks like it is ready to curtsy! How sweet! I love it!!!

A Southern Rose said...

I just love Traci's blog and she did a wonderful job on this chair! I love it! I have a chair similar to this in storage I need to get busy!

Wendy said...

Amazing - that's all I can say: AMAZING!

Court said...

I am in love with the burlap on that chair, it looks awesome! I am going to go out and get some and start using it ASAP!

I Do Declare said...

Wow!!! You make that look WAY too easy - very impressive!

Gypsy Heart said...

Great job!! You are so creative.

senovia said...

Wow! That's quite a transformation!

Unknown said...

Ok. Im hooked. How do I send pictures of chairs I want to reupholster? I have 8 of them and I need advice? Can someone tell Traci or Shanty2Chic to contact me?

keetonsmith@gmail.com

Thanks!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

What a cute chair. You did an awesome job! I love the burlap. AMAZING!

XOXO
Jen

 
Designed by Deluxe Designs