Saturday, January 2, 2010

Bathroom Mirror Quick Fix ~ DIY

Are you sick of your boring bathroom mirrors?  Do you want a chic look at a shanty price?  How about revamping them by yourself in minutes?   If you answered yes to any of these questions then you are in a place I was several months ago.  I found my quick fix with Mirredge!


One of the first projects I wanted to start on in my house was the boring builders stock mirrors.  My plan was to take off the mirrors and replace them with framed mirrors ~ even on sale they would be very expensive and I have many other projects to spend money on.  So, I opted to save my money and wait.  That is until I came across Mirredge




MirrEdge


Whitney came over and we got to work!


I started with the boys bathroom.  ANYONE can do this but I would like to show you exactly how I did it!

Mirredge comes packaged in sets of two so I bought 2 sets ~ one set for the horizontal trim and one for the vertical trim.


 I then bought 1 set of 4 corner plates. They cover the seams and add a nice aesthetic touch.


The trim is 59.5” long, so roughly 5’. The instructions say to measure each piece on the mirror, score and then crisply snap the trim to get the right fit. I used the circular saw because it was a tad faster. Measure the vertical strips first and then the horizontal. After you cut them down to size there are double-sided adhesive pads that come with the trim – just peel and stick (we put 4 to 5 on each strip).  Then add small dabs of a liquid adhesive next to each adhesive pad (i.e. Liquid Nails is a low cost option that works well).



Then you just press the trim onto the mirror!


Once you have all of the trim up it’s time for the corner plates. No cutting here ~just peel and stick the double sided, adhesive, strips and fit to each corner!



Remember the Before...


and here is the AFTER!

I just love how custom my boys mirror looks now and it completely transformed their whole bathroom! Total time invested – 30 minutes! I highly recommend this product to anyone that wants a chic look in minutes!

Okay, so I loved this product so much that I went back to the store that night to get more trim for my master bathroom.



This line also carries seam plates that cover seams when you need more than 5’ of trim. My master mirror needed about 6 ft. on the horizontal pieces so I bought 1 set of 2 seam plates.


You want the seams in the center of the mirror for aesthetic purposes so I had to buy 1 set of trim for the top and 1 for the bottom and then 1 set for the vertical sides. I measured the horizontal pieces so that they met in the center and followed up with the same steps we used for the boys bathroom. When I was done I added the seam plates to cover the seams in the center with the double sided, adhesive, pads and that was it. I LOVE MY MASTER BATH SO MUCH MORE NOW! Total time invested – 30 minutes!




Before...


After!

I had so much trim left over that I decided to do my half bath also!  The only purchase I made for this mirror was the corner plates!



At the end of the day I had customized three bathroom mirrors / which in turn transformed all three bathrooms (in about 1.5 hours) ~ it just doesn’t get any better than that folks!

Mirredge is available in many styles and colors.  I purchased the Cherry Walnut.  You can go HERE to see a list of styles and colors!

You can purchase Mirredge at select Home Depot stores or on the Home Depot Website.

You can also visit HERE for an online order form!

This is the perfect time of year to begin new projects and I can promise you this one is so quick and easy!!!  Happy New Year to you ALL!

~Ashley




MirrEdge









post signature

56 comments:

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

I've been wanting to customize all our basic builder mirrors too. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful product! I can't wait to check it out.

Sarah@Crafty Sisters said...

I have been looking for the same thing!!! I hate the mirrors in my bathroom and i cant wait to see what all kinds of trims they have. Thanks for the info! They look outstanding!!!
XOXO

Unknown said...

That is AWESOME! Home Depot here I come!

Paula@SweetPea said...

Your mirrors look so much better. This is a great product! My house is too old to have mirrors like this, but I have some friends who would really like this product. Thanks for telling us about it.

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

What a great idea...If I wasn't snowed in with a foot of snow, I'd be on my way to Home Depot....this is at the top of my to-do list...thanks for the great idea

duchess said...

This has been on my to-do list for a long time. Maybe now I can finally mark it off.
Thanks.

Heather Henderson said...

cool! I am going to keep an eye out for that product!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Looks great, Shanty sisters! This was one of my Top 10 projects of the year over at my blog back in Feb. Only I used reeded molding and corner rosettes, not a whole system. I'll be recapping this in my party on Wed. Happy New Years to you both!

leelea said...

Oh how you read my mind!!!! I was looking at my boys bathroom mirror and I had made up my mind to go and get trim to put around it. But now I am doing this!!!!!! Love it!!!!!! Yall are the best!!!!

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

That is fantastic! I love how it turned out!!

Kati @ Housewife_Swagger said...

this is soooo cool!! Do you mind if I ask how affordable this project was for you?

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

Thanks for sharing this - I hate my mirrors but was dreading the price tag of fixing them. This is great!

InMyOwnStyle said...

This is the product I have been waiting for. I have two bathrooms with mirrors that I have always wanted to add custom molding around, but it was to much effort and cost. This looks like the perfect alternative. Thanks for the great tutorial too.

Christine said...

that is so cool! I love it!

Wendy said...

I had no idea they had kits! I had my poor dad frame in our mirrors. We have one left to frame...I can't wait to try it on my own!
I love the detail in the corners!
Thanks!!

Deborah in Atlanta said...

I had to go to their website to find out the prices. Still a bit pricey, but the end results look worth the extra cost. It sure makes a blah mirror really look outstanding. Thanks for the info!

Julie said...

This is just what I was looking for! Thanks for posting.

Reese said...

They look awesome! I think a trip to Home Depot is in the near future. Thanks for the info on these!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't realize how easy this is... we will surely all be putting these up before long!

Redneck Junkers said...

Hmmmmm...nice and easy...just the way we like it!
Sincerely
the Redneck Junkers

Allison said...

This is something I have got to do! Can't believe how fancy this makes the mirror look-- and it seems so easy!

Denissa said...

I love it!! Definitely checking it out! Thanks :)

Kristin said...

Pretty! My husband did all our bathroom mirrors for me a while back using trim from the hardware and store and staining it. He tried everything to get them to stick to the mirror and ended up with . . . double stick tape. They are fabulous. He caulked around the inside of the mirrors to finish it off. I agree that it is a great fixer to a stock mirror.

Anonymous said...

Love love love, I will be doing this project. I had been planning to do this with wood trim but this looks much easier and quicker. Thanks for another great project.
Penny

Ki said...

Great blog! Learned about you from a friend on Facebook. Will be back.
Happy New Year,
Ki

Diann said...

What a cool product! Nice job!

Brockett's said...

I saw this on another blog and was so excited I ran straight to Home Depot and then Lowes and neither one in my area carry it!! I was sooo bummed!!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Thanks so much! I have looked for something like that . My mirrors need help!

Vivian said...

I have never heard of this product. I have a mirror in my bathroom that I need to do that to. Thanks for sharing.

Kammy said...

LOVE IT
LOVE IT
LOVE IT

That is my favorite accent piece...I found 2 more at the thrift store - of all places a couple of weeks ago...never thought to use it on a mirror -

DID I SAY
LOVE IT
LOVE IT
LOVE IT

Happy New Year !
Kammy

Unknown said...

What a great product, I had those mirrors all over my other house, wish they were making it then. Thanks for sharing.
Sandy

Barb @ The Everyday Home said...

I have heard of similiar kits, but this one seems the best of them. The transformation is wonderful. Thx for sharing. Blessings, Barb

Domestic Goddess..Diva sometimes said...

I've been wanting to do this. Now, do you have to remove the clips from the top of the mirror? I'm assuming yes but I don't want to mess things up. :) Thanks!

Carol said...

I have to agree the Builder's mirrors are a sight for sore eyes..totally ugly.
Been looking at a re-do, and a bit of re silvering on a bottom mirror.
My other option was to remove and buy new. Just never found anything that caught my eye.
This is a PERFECT solution.
Hugs to you for sharing

Carisa said...

That is an awesome product. I might need to use it in my hallway bathroom. I wonder if it comes in white...

Mrs. Petrie @ casapetrie.com/blog/

Michelle said...

That's awesome! Love the before and after pictures. I can't wait to try this!

~ Regan said...

THose are wonderful! I wish I had these before I took that ig ol' mirror out of our bathroom! I just replaced it with a large framed mirror- this would have been so much cheaper/easier!

Check out my blog- I'm having my first giveaway!

susan said...

I have seen a product similar to this online, but I thought it was a little pricey. Yours turned out beautifully. I'll have to hop over and check out their website. Thanks for the tips. I could use this in several places!

Unknown said...

Fantastic! That's exactly what I need! I have those darn builders Mirrors! I'm going to give it a try! Thanks for the photo follow along instructions!
Have a great week!
~Really Rainey~

Mikael@starter home to dream home said...

This is a future project of mine.. but I just have too many projects before this one. Maybe I can move this to the "bored on saturday" project??

winjes said...

Love this! Been trying to figure out how to trip the mirrors for several years and this looks so easy.

only question I have is what do you do with the little plastic clips that are screwed into the sheetrock holding the mirror up?

Any ideas?

Sally said...

I am so impressed. Been wanting to do something like that forever! As soon as I can get to Home Depot my mirrors will be as pretty as yours!
Thanks!

Treasia Stepp said...

Thanks so much for sharing this with us. I have one mirror I want to customize and this would be perfect. Going to check it out now.

deborah said...

what a fabulous fix for builder grade mirrors. Love the custom look. Thanks for sharing the idea and the DIY tutorial! Deborah

Heidi of Operation Organization said...

Love the final look! Really finishes it off nicely!

Anny said...

I'd never heard of this product - thank you for the link! It looks so easy :D

Delightful Dwelling said...

I have this exact same stuff that I bought on clearance at Lowe's a couple months ago. We are giving our master bathroom a makeoever and when I went to put these strips on last night, there were no adhesive squares in the package! I thought they were included, but none of mine had them.

We tried using liquid nails, but I needed something thicker to make it lay flush. Now I have to go hunt for black adhesive squares. We tried white ones, but you can seem them because the trim doesn't lay flush.

Tiffany said...

Oh, thank you so much for sharing this info! This would make a HUGE difference in our bathrooms and I have been wanting to do this for so long! Yours turned out fabulous!

Angie Holden said...

That is great! What a great find! Thanks for the tip!

ch said...

WHat a difference it really looks great! I will be doing this in my bathroom, me thinks!:)

My Slice of Heaven said...

Your mirrors look great. I am going to try this in my master bath. Thanks for sharing!

Kaye said...

I've seen this done on DIY shows, but thought you had to buy trim equivalent to crown molding or such and I just wasn't into that kind of work. Since they sell a product just for this (BRILLIANT), I might have to seriously consider it now! Thanks for the tip as well as for the recommendation of where to get it!

Jen @ Just for Rachel said...

That is such a great idea, and it looks amazing!! Well done! I love your site, you two have such great idea's and talents!

Lei said...

FABULOUS!

Julie Bagamary said...

Great idea and beautiful!

Stacey @ Fun to Craft said...

I did this in my last house to both of our bathroom mirrors only I had to do it from scratch. I just used molding and cute corner decals I found. I didn't know they made something like this already for you! I am going to have to try it out at our new place!

 
Designed by Deluxe Designs