Friday, February 18, 2011

Pillars

Hey guys:)  I have seen these done by so many and I really needed new pillars for my fireplace.  I decided to do my own spin on them and I love how they turned out!



I started with a 4x4 that I purchased at Home Depot.  I cut them down to three different sizes.  The magic numbers for me were 25", 20" and 15".



I also had some extra MDF scrap boards in my garage so I cut these down for bases.  I cut the square pieces down to 3 pieces at 6.5"x6.5" and 6 at 5.5" x 5.5".

Next, I used Gorilla Glue Wood Glue to stack a small square on top of a large square.

I repeated this two more times to construct the pillar bases.

I spray painted all of the pieces with Rust-Oleum Heirloom White.

John and I were married in 2002 so I thought it would be cute to incorporate that into the pillars.  I found these super cheap numbers at Home Depot.  They were silver but I painted them with Rust-Oleum Metallic Accents Metallic Classic Bronze.

This stuff is cool!
After everything was painted I used Gorilla Glue Wood Glue to build the pillars.

To finish them off I used my 3M sanding block to distress all of the edges, bases and 4x4 pieces.

I then followed up with Minwax Dark Walnut stain to accent the distressed edges.

When I wiped away the stain I rubbed it into the rest of the pillar to give a glazed effect.










These were so cheap!  I payed $10 for the 4x4 which made three pillars.  That's under $3.50 per pillar!!!

Stop by tomorrow!  We have another fun giveaway!

~ Ashley

post signature

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. I'm totally a numbers girl so I LOVE that you incorporated your anniversary year on them. So great.

Ruth said...

Ok! I am in love with this idea! How darling! I have been following you for a few months and am always thinking ...where...do...they ...get their ideas! THANKS FOR SHARING!

Cindy Sage said...

Love these! Just wondering why the top part of your blog comes up blank on my computer. I kept waiting and waiting for it to download. I scrolled way doen on the page and it was there.

Homeroad said...

Ashley,
These look great! I love them and your fireplace. The "T"s on the mantel look so cute.... stop by my blog, I'm having a giveaway you might like!
Susan

Anonymous said...

What a great project! Love the low cost - and such a dramatic finished product. Well done!

Jodi said...

Oh, wow, these are great! I love the look and what a great price!

Jess said...

I love these! Thanks for sharing!

~Jess @ www.makingoverthemartins.blogspot.com

Pink Princess said...

These are great, thanks for showing and explaining :) I have some 3x3 lying about hhhhmmm ♥

Debra@Dejarenew.blogspot.com said...

Love them! They turned out great. And look sharp with your fireplace.

Deb
http://dejarenew.blogspot.com

farmhouse-story said...

love these, ashley--tfs!

Pam said...

Love this....they are so cute!

Say said...

I love these! What a great idea!

Crystal Brown said...

These are great! I made some pillars for my mom for Christmas.

Chara Michele said...

These look amazing! Love this idea!

Lolly Jane said...

so cute, great price. i was married in 02 as well so i extra love it! (: kelli

Unknown said...

Those are so neat! And how fun to incorporate your wedding year! :) Love the candles, by the way!

Life Of A Southern Couple - Brittany said...

Very cute!!!

Unknown said...

very cute & GREAT tutorial! I've gotta get that metallic paint! By Rustoleum? Who knew?

Found you via StumbleUpon!

Jeanna said...

Ok I'm in love with all your stuff. This is such a cute idea.

Jeanna @ dramaqueenseams.blogspot.com

Mariaelena said...

These pillars are Fabulous!!!! I think I need to copy them...(haha) I love the idea of the number on them. Thanks for sharing..
Mariaelena
www.cottagelivingfrombeachtoburbs.blogspot.com

 
Designed by Deluxe Designs