Monday, October 11, 2010

Silhouette Chargers

Hey guys!!

If you have not joined this month's I Made it Without My Hubby party just keep scrolling down.  You have just a bit more time left to enter and share!  In the meantime, I thought I would share one of my latest projects.  And yes... that was "projects" with a big "S" on the end!  I'm so thankful for my non-pregnant self that can actually get things done :)

I have been having all sorts of fun with one of our very favorite new products!!  This has to be one of the coolest machines ever.  I am in love...



It's my Silhouette! It is a digital cutting tool that connects to your computer just like a printer, but instead of printing designs it cuts them with a small blade. How fun is that!! My favorite thing about it is the ease of using graphics from the computer rather than trying to store 658,374 different cartridges somewhere in a drawer.  I like that I can pick just one picture that I need without having to go to the store!  Here she is...



I used my Silhouette to easily cut 2 bird pictures onto black vinyl.  This is the vinyl I used...


I will give a more detailed tutorial on a later post but it really was as simple as picking a picture and pushing print.  After doing that I started on the rest of my project.

I found these great antique sewing table drawers at my Meme's house several months ago.  I knew I wanted to do something with them but was waiting for the perfect project. 



 I decided to use them as plate holders in my kitchen.  My original plan was to buy some cute plates at Home Goods but when I ran across these chargers at Hobby Lobby I couldn't pass them up!


They were $1.99 and although the color wasn't my fav I did love the shape!  I knew a good coat of
Rust-Oleum would solve that.  I used Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch in Heirloom White.


Here it is drying...


I did add a little bit of Ralph Lauren Smoke glaze to them after they dried just to bring out the details on the edges.


I used some small picture hangers on the back of my drawers and hung them on the wall.



My next step was to add my birdies!  I just peeled the back off the vinyl...


And stuck it to the plate... That easy!!  And if I get bored of my birdies I just have to cut a new picture!



My final step was to put them in the drawers and take some pics!  What do you think??








Thanks so much for stopping by!  I am so excited to share some of the other great things this little machine does!  You will be amazed... And right in time to ask Santa for one ;)  Make sure you scroll down and link up your latest projects if you haven't done it yet! 

~Whitney
post signature

26 comments:

Momma Button said...

So cute!! I love it.

Carey C. Bailey said...

that is genius!

3LittleByrds said...

I love it Whitney. Too cute. I totally need those plates since it goes with my last name :) I want one of those machines too.

Lindy said...

I love these. So simple but so cute!

Unknown said...

so jealous of your silhouette machine. I've been wanting one so badly, just don't have the funds, darn it.

Anonymous said...

What a great way to use those sewing machine drawers! I have several myself stashed away - I need to pull them out and hang them up! Love the painted chargers too - like you I always love the shape but not the colors. You are so creative!

Jennifer

Crystal said...

LOVE those drawers!! They're gorgeous! And I'm obsessed with birds.

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

Ah to have a Silhouette! I had to cut mine out for my plates by hand! Yours look fantastic!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Cute and clever idea!

Life in Rehab said...

That's sooooooo cute! I love your vision, and I already warned my hubs that that Silhouette machine needs to be under the tree in December or ELSE!

Aaron {the girl with the boy's name} said...

I have a couple of drawers just like that and thanks to you now I know what to do with them. You are so clever...I would have never thought to mount them on the wall!
-Aaron

. said...

I love how those turned out!!

Sommer said...

I love it! I can't imagine what would happen to my house if I had one of those machines lol.

Kimmie @ Hello Mess said...

My Silhouette should be here by Saturday and I am SO excited! Love this project. LOVE.

very merry vintage style said...

These are really pretty. I like the color of the paint contrasting with the black.

Infarrantly Creative said...

Oh Whitney that is stinkin adorable. I love those sweet little drawers.

Sommer said...

I love your plates! What a great idea! I have been dying for one of these machines and found one on Craigs list this morning, unopened with tons of accessories papers for $150!!! Cross your fingers for me=)

Unknown said...

Love the drawers! Love the plates! Love the birds! Soooo cute!

Joy@Thrifty Parsonage Living said...

Very cute and creative! I love how you used the sewing machine drawers for shelves.

ToddandTrisha said...

I actually have a question for you two. I am recovering a lamp shade and I found some old shades that have some discoloration on the inside. I am planning on recovering them like you have done many times!! I just don't know what to do on the inside and so I am wondering if you have any ideas for me. You could email me at tjorgens80@yahoo.com. I know you are busy, but any ideas would be appreciated.

- Brittany aka Pretty Handy Girl said...

Very cute idea! That is a creative use for the drawers!

Brittany
http://www.prettyhandygirl.com

Unknown said...

oh, how I am swooning!!

So innovative. I'm loving it.

Great job!!!

amberdawn said...

I love it!!!! And did you hang the drawers upside down, or is the plate sitting in the drawer?

Jenn A said...

Wow! Great job! Want a silhouette!

AmyD said...

This is genius! I don't have that particular machine but I do have a CriCut!!!!

Kayleigh said...

I have been eyeballing those HL chargers too! Can you give more info on the Ralph Lauren stuff that you added to it... I've never used it before but I LOVE the look that it added! Do you just rub it on the edges or is it something you spray on the whole thing...?

 
Designed by Deluxe Designs