Friday, July 9, 2010

Easy Accent Paneling

I should say easy and CHEAP!  I got to start on the nursery this week....which used to be my hubby's office.  I love the look of the paneling in this room over at Serena and Lily so I drew up my plans and went to Home Depot!


Whitney, being the wonderful sister she is, volunteered to come help me in this project!  I chose to do one accent wall, after much convincing from Whitney, and I'm so glad I did!  This wall measures 175.5".  Here is my purchase list:

6 Whitewood 1x4's @ 8ft.
2 Whitewood 1x6's @ 8ft.
1 box 1 1/4 finishing nails
1 Nail Finishing Kit
Blue Tape
1 tube of Liquid Nails for Paneling
1 tube of white all-purpose caulk
1 gallon of paint - I had Home Depot match to a sample of my trim color

I chose to use Whitewood boards because they are smooth and do not have imperfections.  They are more expensive but much easier to work with!


I started by marking off where I wanted the 1x4's.  I chose 20" apart because I like the look of having them spaced out and it worked well with the window and sockets.

We used a Ryobi Miter to cut the 1x4's to 4ft.  (making the boards under the window shorter).  You can use any saw for this because they are straight cuts.

We put a generous line of Liquid Nails on each board and placed them on the wall.  Our step dad, Tim a.k.a. Bapa, is a builder and he suggests pulling the board away from the wall and back on for a good set with the Liquid Nails.  So, we did:)  We followed up with 3 to 4 finishing nails in each board.  Looking good!

I used this nifty tool to hammer the nails all the way into the wood so you won't see them.  Very easy and you can get 3 for $1.99.

We attached the 1x6's to the top using the same technique and then turned a 1x4 flat on the top to form a shelf.  We made sure to sink wood screws down it through the 1x6 for good support.



I followed up by caulking EVERY corner, edge and hole left from the finishing nails.

Finally I taped off the walls to prep for the painting!  We used a paint roller for the walls and a paint brush for the wood, edges and corners.


Here's the before...

and the after!

After:)

I am so happy with the way this turned out and with Whitney's help it only took about 3 -4 hours!  I spent about $30 on the wood and about $30 on the paint!  Small price for the custom look it gives the room!  I still have a ton left to do in the room but this is a huge start!!! 

This post brought to you by Garage Sales Tracker!

Garage Sales Tracker

Stop by to find lists of all the garage sales and consignment stores in your area!  Check out their new App for your Iphone too:)

Also:  It's not to late to enter the "I Made it Without my Hubby" party!  Scroll down to enter!



post signature

33 comments:

{Carrie} said...

I love it and have been wanting to do it myself. Great start a lot of bang for your buck.

The Painted Home said...

perfect!! thanks so much, i am planning this for our dining room and didn't even think of liquid nails! great job! -denise

Kelli said...

What a great accent wall!! It seems overwhelming to think about, but the way you described each step makes me think I could try it...maybe someday...thanks for sharing!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I love the wall. It looks absolutely fabulous. You did a great job. Hugs, Marty

Sarah @HarriganHowdy said...

Oh, my goodness, that's beautiful! Thank you for the inspiration. I can't wait to get into a home of our own... and I'm filing this away for then. :)

Kelly @ PatchworkAndPaperPiecing said...

As always, I am amazed by what you two can do with some wood and a few hours! Loving it!

Unknown said...

I love the board and batten look. It's beautiful, and I love that you did choose the window wall for an accent wall. It looks wonderful!

:) Laura

Kelly @ PatchworkAndPaperPiecing said...

Awesome as always! The two of you always inspire me!

April @ The Painted Cupboard said...

Looks great!!! Thanks for the tutorial...it looks pretty easy :)

Lori Woodman said...

I love it! I've been looking for something to do in my sons room where he can display his sports trophies. I'm thinking I can make the top piece a little wider and it will work perfectly! Thanks for all your tips. Love your blog!!

Lori Woodman said...

I love it! I've been looking for something to do in my sons room where he can display his sports trophies. I'm thinking I can make the top piece a little wider and it will work perfectly! Thanks for all your tips. Love your blog!!

Kathy@theshebearofeleven said...

Good pictures, step by step, showing how it is done. Looks so nice.

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

My heart always pitter-patters for board & board. I did our downstairs bath and this week I convinced myself that I want to do our family room too. Great job ladies!

The Pennington Point said...

It looks amazing. Great job! Lisa~

Kristen said...

Wow! It looks great!! I'm wanting to do this in our basement...should be un, fun (it's a big basement!)
Great job!

Unknown said...

Turned out great!

~Makalani
Makaz Home

Wendy said...

Great tutorial! We are in the process and moving to a home that needs a lot of TLC. This will be perfect in the halls and our bedroom! Thanks!!
Loved looking at your before and after pictures. It looks fabulous!
Wendy

Lolly said...

You two CONSTANTLY AMAZE me!!!! That looks wonderful. Do you hire out? I could trade some babysitting for word work around here. I was just showing this to your uncle and he can't believe it either. I love it!!!

Kammy said...

Love it !
Hugs ~ Kammy

Cara@TheSheetBoutique said...

What would we do without our sisters????

jen @ {decor junkie} said...

Looks great! We have this paneling up in our daughter's room too and I love it! It totally changes the look of the room, doesn't it? Great job!

Anonymous said...

I love this idea and have been wanting to do it in my new baby's room - After seeing this - I really want too!!

Suburban Stitcher said...

Looks fantastic!!! I have a question...you just nail the boards into sheetrock, right? Obviously if you're choosing your width, it may or not hit stud, so I'm assuming that's OK? I've been doing some research on this process and I'd love any insight. Thanks!

Faith's Place said...

Nice job on this! I am looking into doing this too! Thanks for the tutorial!

Heidi said...

It looks beautiful!! We have the same thing in our family room/dinning room in our little beach house. It is so classic and charming.

Heidi

Natalie of TheBusyBudgetingMama.com said...

lOVE it! great job. i'm wanting to do the same idea in our new house!

.jimaie.marie. said...

I love this! It looks so good!

Traci@ Beneath My Heart said...

That looks great! Such a big impact for little money. I am wanting to do some paneling in my younger boys' room. Just don't have the time right now. :)
Hope you sweet girls are doing well.
Traci

Janean said...

fan-tab-ulous! we have a very similar wall in our master bedroom at the cottage and adore it!

Kelly said...

Looks great! Can you explain how the 2x4 meets up with your floor moulding? I have been wanting to do this but can figure out if I'll need to replace the floor moulding as well.

Caylee said...

Great tutorial! I love the look that paneling lends to a room.

Katie C said...

Great job! I too love the board and batten look, but can't figure out if you can do "too much" in one area. Seriously, I want to do it EVERYwhere, just to get some style in my house. I love that you did an accent wall. Do you think it's a mistake to do a whole room in it?

Valerie said...

that is so cute! what a great start to a beautiful nursery! i am filing this at thecraftersfilebox.com because i know that someday i will absolutely need this! :)

 
Designed by Deluxe Designs