Sunday, November 29, 2009

Whit's Cheapo Jute Twine Ornaments

Hey guys!! Sorry for my brief break... I have been out of town with the fam for Thanksgiving.  I have spent the last week or so getting the tree up and planning how I would dress it.  This year I am in love with silver.  I have it all over the tree...  and I have found that I love balancing it with neutral tones and more rustic pieces.  I decided to make some jute twine ornaments...



Now I will show you how I did it...

I started by getting my materials together.  I used a small ply jute twine, hot glue gun, and an unfinished paper mache ornament.  All of these can be found at craft stores.  I found mine at Hobby Lobby but you can also find them at Michael's and Joanns.




I started by gluing the twine to the top of the ornament.




Then, I wrapped it around and added dabs of hot glue as I went until I made it to the bottom of the ornament.




It was really easy as that!  I wanted to add a bit of sparkle for contrast so I found these great ornament hangers at Target for super cheap.  I just added one to it and I was finished...













Here's a few on the tree although I find it so hard to take a good tree picture...













And a few more in a different shape with a larger ply twine...







Hope you guys like them!! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Don't forget to get your projects ready for the Rust-Oleum Revamp party... It's a week from today and you can get all the info by clicking the party button on our sidebar.  Hope everyone had a safe Thanksgiving and prepare yourself for LOTS more Shanty Christmas fun:)!!


The DIY Show Off



DIY Day @ ASPTL





post signature

20 comments:

Micah said...

Fabulous! You just keep inspiring me:)

Sandy said...

Great ideal, you are such an inspiration.I need to try some of these. Since your into silvers this year, chech out my post, I did
my outdoor decorating in nothing but silvers and whites. Let me know what you think. Thanks for sharing your great ideal.
Sandy

Traci@ Beneath My Heart said...

You guys are "crafting machines" I tell ya!

2sisters said...

They turned out darling. I love them. I do have a question, yall' use your hot glue a lot, and so do I. I however burn myself almost every time, not seriously, but it's still painful. Is that just the price for crafting with hot glue?
teri

Cindy said...

I bought those same ornaments to do the same thing! I found some really cute ornament hangers at the dollar store to use, but seeing yours I think I may add some sparkly beads to them as well. Come to think of it, the hangers look like your blog curlecues. :)
Feel free to link up to my party today.
peace.

Christy said...

I have recently started following your blog and I have to tell you, it is one of my favorites!!! You have inspired me with all of your projects that are fun, creative, simple and if I saw them in a store, I would totally buy them! I recently made my own version of your "JOY" plaques and burlap place mats. Thanks for all the great ideas using such inexpensive materials. Keep the ideas coming!!!

Kasey @ A Blog by Me said...

Great idea!

Debilou~Mississippi Mama said...

I've got lots of balls bought on clearance last year.. think i'll give this a try on them. Thanks! Yours look great, love that hook on top.

Darci & Devin Buhl said...

I LOVE your ideas! So original. I made your JOY plaques and I am seriously in love with them. Everyone comments on how cute they are. Thank you so much for the clever idea!

Kara@ Creations by Kara said...

Very cute! Love how they look with the sparkly hangers. Perfect balance!

kirstin & jordan said...

ooh, I love these! they're fantastic!

Holly said...

That's really cute, and that hanger from Target is the perfect touch!

Andrea at Opulent Cottage said...

Super chic! I have a ton of friends who would love to get those with their Christmas gifts. Thanks for the inspiration ladies!
Cheers, Andrea

Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage said...

So pretty! I didn't know they made those ornament form thingies (don't ya just love my language). Now I just need to find some. Thanks for the great ideas! (Ya'll are always soooo clever!)

mkelton24 said...

Super cute! I love the natural texture of the thread used. I just made a couple of stockings that would look cute with these! hehe!

www.thekeltonscozycottage.blogspot.com

mkelton24 said...

Super cute! I love the natural texture of the thread used. I just made a couple of stockings that would look cute with these! hehe!

www.thekeltonscozycottage.blogspot.com

Sheri said...

This is fun! What possibilities! Thanks for sharing. I've posted a link at childmade.com.

kermiefrg said...

I love the idea of the beaded ornament hanger. How pretty!

kermiefrg said...

I love the idea of the beaded ornament hanger. How pretty!

Wendy @ The Shabby Nest said...

You all never cease to amaze me!

 
Designed by Deluxe Designs