Saturday, October 10, 2009

Swiney 2 Chic ~ Whitney's Spindle Lamp

Hey girls! Wasn't the party so fun?? It came at perfect timing for me because I came down with swine flu last weekend... and then managed to share it with all 3 of my kids. It's been a bad week at Whitney's house.  Luckily, I had Ashley to man the blog post and the party to fill in for my lack of crafting!  I wanted to share a really fun project I just finished.  After going to Round Top I have been in lamp mode! I saw so many creative and fun ways to make and alter lamps there which led me to this pile of old stair spindles.  The man sold me the box for about $30...woohoo!!



I found a vendor there there made almost any piece of architectural salvage into a lamp.  I was amazed by her vision and talent and had to copy.  This is how I made my spindle lamp...

You will need a lamp kit... I used this one from Lowe's for under $10.



I first painted my 4 spindles, an unfinished square wood plaque and a small piece of 1/2" pvc with Rustoleum American Accents Canyon Black spray paint.  The wood plaque will be your base and the pvc is to hide the cord that will run through the spindles. This step is totally optional... you can just let your cord run through the center.

Once these are dry I used my Gorilla Super Glue to attach the four spindles with the pvc inside.  Before attaching these, you need to run the cord through the pvc with the raw end up.  Drill a hole in the top of your spindles the same size as the lamp nipple that comes with the kit. ** These words will all make sense to you once you have the kit in front of you:)




At this point, I attached the four spindles to the wood plaque as my base.  I added glue to the bottom of the spindles and then used my drill to secure them with wood screws.



Now to start the electrical fun... Put your lamp nipple tightly into the hole at the top of the spindles.  If it isn't tight enough you can add a bit of Gorilla Glue here as well.  Make sure you leave enough of it showing to attach the other pieces(about half).  You will then add the harp bottom and the socket cap.


The wiring is super easy.  You just wrap one cord around each screw on the socket and tighten them.  Make sure no cords are sticking out.  Then cover it all with your socket shell.

I started this on Sunday of last week just before I got sick so this is where your detailed pics stop... sorry! But if you need any help just ask!

My final step was to get a shade ready for this baby.  I found this lovely, boring and silk drum shade at Walmart.  Drum shades are too easy to alter so I was sold!



I used a piece of lightweight canvas to cover the silk.  Just lay it out, spray it with spray adhesive and roll the shade on to it.  When I was finished I pulled the excess at the tops and bottoms and glued them down with my hot glue gun.  Then it looked like this...




This lamp is going in my loft where my work space is so I wanted something a little girly.  I used small black grosgrain ribbon to make two lines along the bottom of the lamp.  I just eyeballed it and added a dab of hot glue every 4 inches or so...




Then I made 2 cute little bows to top it off...




Then I took a dab of hot glue and added to bows to one side of the lamp... So cute!!




Finally I was in need of a finial for the top but I only had the unfinished ones with screws.  I attached one to to a small unfinished candlestick with Gorilla Glue... got all of these at Hobby Lobby.







I painted it black and drilled a hole in the bottom the size of the screw at the top of the lamp.




After a little distressing using my 3M block sander with 80 grit paper and putting the lamp together, it was ready for the reveal!  What do you think??



















Thanks for stopping by guys! And don't forget to stay tuned this week for details on our next link party and HUGE giveaway!! This one will be even more fun than the last and we are so excited to share all the details with you.  I hope I explained the steps on this project well enough but if you have any questions just ask!!

I will be posting this at Between Naps on the Porch for Met Monday and The Shades of Pink

I will also be posting this over at DIY Day over at A Soft Place to Land!!!

I will also be posting this over at Trash to Treasure Tuesday over at Reinvented... Check it out guys!!

Also check out
I will also be linking this to Flea Market Style!

72 comments:

Erin@ Give Mom a Minute said...

Beautiful! You are gonna get soooo many compliments on her :)Can't believe you made it!
-Erin

Room to Inspire said...

Very creative! I love how you reused and recycled something old and gave it a new life!

Chelsea

Tammy@InStitches said...

oh no, I'm sorry you had the flu ! I do love the bows on the shade, the whole lamp turned out so cute.

Unknown said...

I DON'T THINK I HAVE SEEN A CUTER LAMP EVER... I WANT IT! darling, so darling... GREAT NO' FANTASTIC JOB!

Stephanie said...

I LOVE the spindle lamp, it's SO cute! What a great idea.. One that I definitely want to try! Thanks for the tut!

Heather said...

Wow. That lamp is darling!! I want one!

Tootsie said...

you are a girl after my own heart! I am a power tool magnet!

debi lynn mattingly said...

I can't remember how I stumbled onto your blog...but, it is a really inspiring place!

I know exactly which vendor you found in Warrenton!! I met her and you are right she does fabulous creations for her lamps. Thanks for sharing!

xo...deb

~ Regan said...

What an interesting idea! I have alway been too intimidated to do lamps- you make it look so easy! Thanks for sharing!

The Painted Home said...

OMG! It's like a beautiful little black dress!

Rachel~Wildflower Photography Studio and Wildflower Creative said...

This turned out great, Whitney! Love it!

Smiles,
Rachel

Brittany@Superwoman said...

I want to make these for my house now...

Sherri said...

Oh.my.Gosh! Simply AMAZING! Love it. Want one. Dang, now I have to find spindles. LOL

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

Too darn cute! I love the ribbon and mini bows on the shade...The whole project is great!

trish said...

Oh boy! That is cute! Great job!
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

www.thewhitefarmhouse2.blogspot.com said...

Lovely lamp! I really like the shade for it. I'm a sucker for the grosgrain ribbon.

duchess said...

So cute & creative.
Glad you're feeling better.

Ren said...

I love your lamp! The ribbon just makes that shade! Did you get the base at a hardware store or a craft store?? I have been looking (with no luck) for something like that to make candle sticks.

Marla said...

That is a great lamp, your so creative!! marla

Nori said...

Wow!! Awesome job and what a score on those spindle legs! Can't wait to see what else you do with them.

Fifi Flowers said...

ANOTHER FAB idea!!!

Love the Decor! said...

Love this idea!!
Hope you are feeling better :)

Debbie said...

Oh, I just love this one. Great job. Such inspiration. Debbie

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear you & your family had that awful flu but glad your better. Well I have to hand it to you, you did it again. Great lamp.
Hope you have a Sweet Sunday...Tracy :)

Anonymous said...

That is just beautiful! Amazing that you got all those spindles for $30. I am sooo jealous!

Pat B. said...

Wow, this is amazing!!! I can hardly wait to try it.

I was at Warrenton on Thursday & Friday of the last week it was open. This was my first time to get to go and it was fabulous. We are planning to go back in the spring & I would love to know the areas you go to in Round Top. I would love to see some areas like this where creativity is used to make some really great things.

What I saw was mostly beautiful antiques with a little area that had tin crafts that were actually Halloween & Christmas decorations. (I did get a great pair of very old art deco bookends, 3 wonderful stained glass windows from a great British couple that now live in Alabama, and a wonderful turquoise and coral necklace!)

Thanks so much for the info. & I'm glad you're feeling better.

From the Old InkWell said...

OH HOW CUTE! Just love it!

Carolyn said...

That is ridiculously adorable! You guys make me sick; everything you make turns out so great! What a creative, original idea.

Tammy said...

Unbelievable! I love this. What a wonderfully creative idea. My creative juices are flowing again. So sorry about the flu! How horrible.

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

That is a really neat lamp :)

Mama Thompson said...

That is so cute...I love it...maybe someday in a little girls room?!

Pat Harris said...

I love this lamp! I have had some very old, very worn spindles and had no idea how to use them. This is perfect. Great job, great idea.

Snort said...

I just came across your blog- and I must say that you ladies are amazing!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Oh, how cute that is! Love how you put it all together and the cute details on that shade. I've seen those neato drum shades at Walmart, they are stylin' now.

santamaker said...

So creative and original. Just love it. Classy, elegant and chic.

Lorna ~ Lace and Ivy Cottage said...

I looove it! Thanks for the tutorial. I'm in need of a lamp, so I might just make this one! Great touch on the lampshade.

Signing Out said...

I love it! You are so creative.

Jane

xinex said...

What talent you got, girl! It's beautiful! Thanks for showing the steps...Christine

Infarrantly Creative said...

Cute you sure gave it some new life!

Unknown said...

Sorry you had the flu. That lanp is just toooo cute. Love the little ribbon you added. I would have never thought of using spindles. Great job.
Sandy

Anonymous said...

This is so cute! You did an excellent job!
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Brenda said...

I like this, it really has some substance behind it. Great look!

Marigene said...

Cute little lamp!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

It looks great!! You did good! :)

Phyllis @Around the House said...

I just love the lamp, love the shade and the ribbons, make it so chic...what a great idea, sooo creative..I am a new follower and I will be back to see more...come visit

Shanty 2 Chic said...

Hey girls!! I am normally so much better at replies but with the fam being sick I am SO far behind. Just wanted to say thank you for all your sweet comments!! They always make me excited to share my next post!! Thanks again:)
~Whitney

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING and beautiful! I love these I featured it at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

Michelle said...

Very creative project, I love it. Stop by for a visit soon!
Michelle

SouthernGal said...

I'm amazed at what y'all can do with gorilla glue. Another great post.

Christi @ A Southern Life
http://asouthernlife.com

nannykim said...

Sorry you were sick!! pretty cool lamp...I think I have a bunch of spindles still in my secret room that the previous spindle guy had left over (our house is spindle cottage and the previous owner went wild....not sure If I want or need more spindles-- lol)but not sure what I may do with the left overs.

nannykim from Spindle cottage blog (I have more than one blog so confusing it gets)

nannykim said...

Sorry you were sick!! pretty cool lamp...I think I have a bunch of spindles still in my secret room that the previous spindle guy had left over (our house is spindle cottage and the previous owner went wild....not sure If I want or need more spindles-- lol)but not sure what I may do with the left overs.

nannykim from Spindle cottage blog (I have more than one blog so confusing it gets)

Anonymous said...

I will never understand how you come up with all of these great ideas. I know you saw that I copied your dominoes idea. SO LOVIN' THEM!

Julie said...

Hey Girls... So Very creative! Just to cute cute cute
xoxo
Julie

Dresser Girl said...

WOW!! As always, I'm so impressed!!

Mommy Words said...

Wow I just saw a bunch of spindles at the Restore that you could buy individually...adding this to my project list! I wonder if I could figure out a way to make a standing floor lamp using 8. I really need one!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I love it!! Very cool design. The bows really add such a cute factor. :) Visiting from Kimba's party. :)

Karen The Graphics Fairy said...

That's some amazing DIY!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome idea- love your lamp!! We are going to see this all over blogland it is such a hit!

Unknown said...

That came out adorable! The bows really clinched it!
Hope you are having a great week!
Rainey

Mandi Shandi said...

I LOVE both things you posted at Reinvented this week! The placemats and lamp are both so fantastic. You all are 2 seriously talented sisters! I just hate I missed the party, but I am a follower now so I won't miss the next one. Have a great week!

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

Really creative and fun!

Jen said...

Another home-run. I would say "keep up the awesomeness" but you do it so effortlessly that it wouldn't be "keeping it up" it would be just doing whatchya do.

ImagineCozy said...

You are so creative, what a great project!
-Angela

Unknown said...

WOW!!!! This is such a great idea! Very beautiful too!

Annikke said...

I love it! My husband used to own his own construction company and we have so many stair rail "pickets" laying around that this would be perfect to use up some of those!

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

So creative and congrats on being #1. You ladies are on a mission with your blog! Love it!

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

I never would have thought of it, but I love it! Great job on the lamp. And thanks for the inspiration!

Amy said...

Wow--very creative!

Claudia said...

Great lamp and terrific of you to share the tutorial with us!

Shannan Martin said...

You gals never cease to amaze... :)

V I N T A G E O L O G I E said...

Now I know exactly what I'm going to do with that HUGE box of spindles in the basement that I've managed to keep my husband from throwing out ... THANK YOU, for the great idea ... you did an awesome job!!

xo
Jill

Ki said...

Great job! I guess junkers think alike! I made one just like it for Country Home several years ago! Well done!
Peace,
Ki

 
Designed by Deluxe Designs