Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Ashley's Vintage Looking Dice

Hi everyone! Hope you all had a wonderful Labor Day Weekend! My latest project is a few antique looking dice! This was such a fun project from beginning to end! I have been wanting large dice for some time now and well, when you can’t find exactly what you want you create it right? Their story starts out at Home Goods (I know…surprise) on a Shanty Shopping Trip with Whitney. I found a set of 7 blocks that spelled out FRIENDS in pastel colors. I would never use these as they were but at a clearance price of $5.00 I could make many projects including dice! So of course I purchased the set!



I brought them home (after giving Whitney a couple....the F and R as you can see) and started painting. I used Antique White Acrylic as the base (2 coats). While the coats were drying I began making a stencil for my dots! I used my Cricut machine to get the exact size I wanted (you can use anything for a stencil I just chose my Cricuit). I then put tape around the outer edges so the stencil would stay down while I was painting (I highly recommend contact paper but I didn't have any nor did I want to make a trip to the store). When the base paint was dry I began stenciling the dots with a dry brush technique to give the dots a faded look (just dab the brush in paint and go back and forth on a scrap paper until you have the consistency you want ~ then sweep back and forth in the stencil). The dots do not need to line up exactly (I actually like it better a little imperfect!).


When the dots were dry I glazed, of course, with the Ralph Lauren Smoke Glaze to achieve the antique look (just paint on and wipe away with an old shirt or cloth).

For now they have found a home on top of my hutch! I just think they look so adorable up there! Hope you were inspired! ~ Enjoy! I will be posting this at The Shabby Chic Cottage for Transformation Thursday! Check it out! Great stuff there http://www.theshabbychiccottage.net/2009/09/aging-gracefully.html
I will also be posting this at Reinvented for Trash to Treasure Thursday! Go check it out! Great stuff there! http://www.reinventedkb.com/2009/09/trash-to-treasure-creative-candle.html
I will also be posting this at Kimbas DIY Day! Go check it out! Great stuff there!
http://asoftplacetoland-kimba.blogspot.com/2009/09/diy-day-and-giveaway.html I will also be sharing this lovely over at The Shabby Nest for Frugal Friday... Love this blog... go check it our ladies!http://shabbynest.blogspot.com/2009/09/frugal-friday-linky-party.html

53 comments:

duchess said...

Oooo. They are cute.
Great idea - I'm sure we'll see them all over blogland now.

Lori said...

That is a great idea, thanks for sharing.

Jacey Autumn Photography said...

cute idea!! i love the decor on your hutch!

Caro said...

What a fantastic idea!!!

Kimmy said...

Those are so adorable!! Thanks for the inspiration!

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

Oh how cute! Great idea!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I love these!

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

I love these!! So creative and you did such a nice job on them. Thanks for showing us how you did it!!

KirkKrew said...

So random, but so cute!!! I might have to copy ANOTHER one of your projects. :)

A Southern Rose said...

Cute idea! My daughter would love these!

Blue Creek Home said...

I'm lovin' those big dice!!
Try playing Bunco with those babies!!!
Rhonda

Patricia said...

Love the dice and your blog!
Very inspirational~

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

How fun! They add a perfect touch of whimsy. So cute.

Southern Fried Gal said...

What a cute project! Especially cute for a bunco centerpiece!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Totally a fantastic idea - I absolutely love it!!

stephanie h said...

super cute!

stefanie said...

i LOVE those!!!! they turned out great

Barbie said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and for your nice comment. :-) I LOVE your blog! I am getting all kinds of inspiration!! Also, seeing how you made your dice helps me have more confidence in making the sign I want to make for my kitchen. Thank you. :-)

Unknown said...

Hello lovely ladies! I just featured you over at my blog today! Thanks so much! :)

Jennifer Juniper said...

These are cute! Dice. Huh....I never would have thought of that :)

Anonymous said...

Those dice are such a creative idea. Love them!
pk @ room remix

Roeshel said...

Those are the cutest!

Thanks so much for helping me with the scavenger hunt! :)

Roeshel

Its So Very Cheri said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Another great make over! You guys ROCK!

Brie said...

Very cute project! I'll definitely have to keep it in mind when the decorating phase of my home renovation rolls (ha! no pun intended!) around.

Brie
@ For Such A Time As This

Leanne said...

They look awesome! I love them! Thanks for sharing with us how you did them. I can't wait to try it.

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by!

Very cute! Want to make some for me?

Kacee said...

LOVE IT!

Anonymous said...

Oh my word, I need those dice!! They are ADORABLE!

Cara@HomespunKitchen said...

Those are fabulous!!!!!!! I absolutely love your ideas, so helpful for beginners like me, lol!!

Blessings,
Cara

ChesterAndDonkey said...

What a great idea ... I love the vintage look and the fact that you could make any number combo that you need to be personal! Awesome job!

Tricia said...

Hi there. I just stopped over from the DIY Showoff, and I love what I see. You have a great thing going here~!

XO*Tricia

Julie said...

Really cute dice! Love the hutch too.

Let it Shine said...

Turned out super cute!!

Cindy said...

What a great idea and they are so cute!! Hugs, cindy S.

Reid said...

VERY cute! Nice idea...as I have been wanting some old dice. I wish we had a Home Goods here! No such luck.

Lorie said...

Those are VERY cute! I love everything you girls post!

Kimba said...

Too cute! I'll admit that when I saw the title of your post, I was thinking fuzzy dice hanging from the rear-view mirror.

This is much better.

Nicole A. said...

Very cute! They look awesome on that Beautiful Hutch!

The Starr Family said...

Oh my lands, I LOVE that idea. Super cute and easy... I'm inspired.

Wendy said...

That is very clever! I'm impressed with how cute they turned out! Thanks for linking!!

Six in One Hand said...

Too cute!!
What a creative use of a great find!

Farmgirl Paints said...

Wow really cute idea. I love it. Thanks for stopping by the other day. I'm glad I found you:)

Tiffany said...

WOW! I seriously LOVE this! I have had my eye on the big dice at Hobby Lobby and cannot stop thinking about them. Duh. I had never thought about making them myself! : ) Thanks for sharing this genius idea. Now I just need to find some big blocks!

Jami Schoettler said...

These are sooo adorable!

Unknown said...

One of the cutest projects I've seen in a while.

Brittany said...

these are so cute!!

stop by my Goodwill party every Wednesday and link up your thrifty finds!!

Sabrina said...

Greatest thing evah! Love it. I'll have to go to my Home Goods to see if I can find the same thing. I hope so.

Rachel@ Soiree Design said...

Such a great idea! Thanks so much for sharing.

Joyce @ The Craft Barn said...

Love this idea! So creative and cute - thanks for sharing.

Tricia said...

Those are fabulous- love them!

Amber said...

These are super cute! Great idea for "recycling" the friend blocks. The dice add an unexpected pop of character to your hutch.

Brittany said...

LOVE these! I'm linking this to my blog so I can remember it later.

 
Designed by Deluxe Designs