Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Whitney's Roman Shades

UPDATE!!

I will be joining Donna over at Funky Junk Interiors for her Saturday Nite Special! Scroll down for the button!

So I am so excited to share my next project with you… I mentioned that we finished building our home about 6 months ago. One of my favorite details of my home is the trim work. My super handy stepdad did all of the trim. I will share more detailed pictures of that in a separate blog. When thinking about window coverings, I was at first totally sold on shutters. I love the look from the outside and they are easy to maintain and all of that stuff. We put off the purchase of these because of cost and about a month after living in our house my mind started changing. I knew I wanted something that would show off and compliment all his work and not take away from it. I love natural light and I felt that shutters would cut that in half at least. I also love the look of my windows open and the shutters would cover that up as well. I started entertaining the idea of roman shades and decided to google. That’s when I stumbled upon this treasure…http://www.terrelldesigns.com/howto-videoclips.htm

I found a series of tutorials on making your own roman shades. I am a visual learner so I decided to give it a try. After watching them I decided that I could for sure make my own. I won’t repeat the directions that she gives but I will tell you to check it out. These require minimal sewing ability and they are super quick and cheap to make. I will offer my own advice from now making several of my own.

~ I used eye hooks rather than the pulleys and locking pulleys that she uses. They are much cheaper and a heck of a lot easier to find. Just drill a pilot hole and twist it in.
~ I skip the Velcro all-together. I just made my shades about 2 inches longer than her pattern, wrapped it around my 1x2 and stapled it. I think this is a much cleaner look.
~ I use a fan/light pull at the end of my cords… much cuter than that plastic thing.

I was so pleased with the outcome. They are easy to use and I feel that they totally compliment my trim which was a main focus. I did add some small scrolls from Hobby Lobby to my living room shades just to give them a little more pop. I just attached a nail to the 1x2 from the shade and hung it up. The best part of this project… the $ I saved. These cost a fraction of the price of the shutters. Thanks so much for stopping by! I will be posting this with Kimba over at A Soft Place To Land for DIY Day. Check it out... Lot's of talent there...http://asoftplacetoland-kimba.blogspot.com/2009/08/diy-day_19.html



 
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are just beautiful! I love how you added the scroll on top. Perfect touch!

Cheryl said...

Great job on your roman shades.

I have been wanting to make some myself for our master bath, but have not found a good enough tutorial to give it a try.

I popped over from Kimba's DIY day. I am off to look at your link you porvided.

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

These are fantastic! I love roman shades and have them all over my house. I'm thinking of changing some in my kitchen and love to know that it's possible to do myself. Nicely done.

Kate Kubler said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting! Be sureto follow so you can see when I post more yummy recipes! LOVE your blog! Happy blogging!

Its So Very Cheri said...

I love the extra decor at the top-these came out so good.
Cheri
Its So Very Cheri

Unknown said...

Great job, I so need to do this!

Anonymous said...

I really like this idea. Would you mind sharing how much this project cost? I want to start gathering supplies!

Cheryl @ a pretty cool life. said...

Looks great! I recently made a roman shade, too...it's easier than it looks!

Lisa said...

My daughter wants me to try this on a broke blind, I love yours. Thanks for sharing.
:)Lisa
kssnnikkel.blogspot.com

Brittany said...

Cute! Love it! And oohhh can I just drool over your trim for minute? Ok thanks. :)

Shanty 2 Chic said...

Thanks girls for all your great comments... Rachel... You only need enough fabric to cover the exact size on the window, which saves lots of money. All of the other supplies are super cheap... 1x2, dowels, fabric glue, liner, cord and some inexpensive hardware. If you get started and have any questions don't hesitate to ask! Thanks again! ~Whitney

cottagejoy_com said...

I've been studying Terrell's site just this week getting ready to make my first roman shade. I just saw your post today and have to ask. It sounds like you used dowels instead of the plastic battens (which can't be found anyway!). I bought dowels thinking they would surely work but wasn't sure how thick they should be. I may have gotten them too big (diameter) but the really skinny ones seemed so flimsy! What size did you use?
Thanks!!!
Karen
huskers@cottagejoy.com

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Just gorgeous. I love roman shades and these are stunning. Hugs, Marty

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love roman shades in general, but love the fabrics you used on yours! I have roman shades in many rooms in my home. I don't know that I would try this myself; it does seem a bit intimadating. I think you did a great job!

Unknown said...

Ohhhh! These are gorgeous! You've inspired me! I have a lot of windows that need some treatment and I have similar trim over my windows that dh doesn't want me to cover up! Thanks for the inspiration!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Totally original and creative! I LOVE how clean they look, yet still add softness to the room.

Yet another hit! I've come to expect nothing less from you. :) Well done!!

Thanks for linking up to SNS #4 window treatment party!

Funky Junk Donna

Funky Junk Interiors said...

This post just had to be featured on the SNS highlights! :)

http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/2009/11/highlights-from-sns-4-window-treatments.html

FJ Donna

 
Designed by Deluxe Designs