Saturday, November 7, 2009

Ashley's Christmas Centerpiece

UPDATE~ I will be linking up with Today's Creative Blog!






 
and
 
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special


Hi friends! So, with the Halloween decor down I am just itching to move onto new projects to fill the lonely space. It's early November but Christmas is my absolute favorite time of year and we like to welcome it early in our house! We don't forget about Thanksgiving but Thanksgiving just isn't Thanksgiving without the Christmas decor!


As I'm sure it is for many of you, it is so important to me that my kids remember the TRUE meaning of Christmas. Santa and presents are fun and my kids get caught up in this part very easily so I try to drill in their heads that the birth of Christ is why we celebrate. Which is what got the ideas flowing on this project...well that and Annette's Shadow Boxes!



Supplies I used bought at Hobby Lobby:



Unfinished wooden candlesticks


Unfinished wooden napkin rings


2 unfinished wooden plaques, 2 unfinished wooden finials


One 3ft unfinished wooden slat


and one 1x6 board purchased at Home Depot


I started by marking and cutting down the 1x6 to 36"


with my Ryobi battery powered circular saw.


I then sanded down the edges with my battery powered Ryobi sander.


I then spray painted all of the pieces with a favorite, Rustoleum American Accents Heirloom White.




I used my Cricut (George and Basic Shapes cartridge) to cut out stencils and dry brushed over them with Americana Lamp (Ebony) Black acrylic on the 36" board.


Distressed the edges and corners with my 3M sanding block (80-grit paper)...


and then applied Minwax Dark Walnut stain to the distressed edges to bring out the detail!




I then used the Gorilla Glue Epoxy to glue two napkins rings and two candle sticks together and glued them to an unfinished wooden plaque


and repeated to make two bases!



I then used the Gorilla Glue Epoxy to glue them to the bottom of the small wooden slat, set that aside


and got to work on the board again.  I applied the Gorilla Glue Epoxy to the bottom side of the board


flipped the candle stick and board up and secured the board on top!

Now for the finishing touches!


~ A little Minwax Dark Walnut stain on the edges of the small wooden slat


~ Ralph Lauren Smoke Glaze all over (paint on a wipe off)


Remember the finials...a little glaze


some Gorilla Glue Epoxy on the bottom and ...


a Christmas Center piece is created!!!










Like I said, it is so important for me to keep my boys in check when it comes to the TRUE meaning of Christmas.  I love this new piece and I hope that it will be a constant reminder to my boys and me as well as we head into the Holidays! 

I will be adding this to Just A Girl's Party for thrifty Christmas gifts.... Check it out guys!!





UPDATE:







 
And...
 
DIY Day @ ASPTL
 
I will also be linking up at Works For Me Wednesdays over here...
 
 
UPDATE:
 
 
 The DIY Show Off


post signature

38 comments:

HouseMama said...

Wow - I love it. I have the perfect piece of wood that I haven't known what to do with - thanks for the great idea.

Super Fun Mama said...

Really want to make this but no saw. Ideas?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Very creative....and looks easy enough to do!!! Thanks for sharing your creativity.

Marie De Marco said...

i will be doing this project. i've been designing sign ideas.(in thought only recently)but i think i'm going to apply this technique.
thanks
marie

Parisienne Farmhouse Chic said...

Great Idea, I too want every one to remember the true reason that we celebrate Christmas.. great idea!
~jen

Heidi said...

as with all of your projects, this one is wonderful! What a great idea for a meaningful (gorgeous) Christmas centerpiece!

Kelly @ Much To Do With Nothing said...

What a cute idea! And yes, it says it all. A child is born. Jesus..The reason for Christmas. Love your blog.
Kelly

Amanda said...

That's really beautiful, a great idea. It fits perfectly into your decor :)

Tammy@InStitches said...

I love it ! So, it's not too early for Christmas decorations ? yay

Dixiejet said...

I LOVE THIS !!! I am ACTUALLY going to try it but I have no portable circular saw...wonder what I can do to compensate ? I think this will look GREAT on my mantle !

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a great tutorial and a wonderful post. I will definitely make one of these. Love it. Hugs, Marty

Unknown said...

LOVE IT SO SWEET. You guys are wood lovers... it cracks me up all the wood re-dos you do. Great job, super sweet!

Court said...

I love it! This week I was trying to think of an idea for my center piece. I am going to have to use this one!
I so wish I had a Hobby Lobby close to me. Oh, well thank heavens for Micheals!
Court
frog2fab.blogspot.com

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Fantastic--puts Jesus at the center of the season, where He belongs!

girl meets carpenter said...

love this! Great idea!

Insight for Girls said...

been starting to follow your blog and had no idea that you were a Christ follower as well. makes me love this blog even more. :)

LouLou said...

I LOVE THIS SIGN!!! Love how you used the candlesticks as a base... Fabulous. I also love all things vintage looking...Go check my blog for my newest clothing creation. I used vintage fabric to make a YUMMY Christmas set... DIVINE. It'll make you wanna eat Christmas Cakes!

mustard seeds said...

That is beautiful. And Yes, He is the reason for the season in the first place.
Sheila

Cheryl said...

I love your creativity. We also like to keep the true meaning of Christmas out and around in our decorations.
And oh my, can I just say that I love to sew, papercraft, quilt and now I am seeing wonderful things made with this Gorilla glue. LOL, I don't need another addiction. I have never used that stuff before but some of you ladies in blogland are making some very creative things with it.

Roeshel said...

I love it Ashley - unique and the perfect message. Great job!

Roeshel

Anonymous said...

Original, clever, stunning, great tutorial!

Cheryl said...

Great job, I love it!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I love the size - nothing wimpy. Great job.

Dena Pickle said...

I love this and especially the step by step instructions! Awesome, thanks for sharing this!
Dena
sweetpicklesandchocolate

Unknown said...

You are so clever! Great tutorial too.

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

That is fabulous! Thanks for the comprehensive tutorial, too!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Great project and tutorial. Very cute!

XOXO
Jen

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Very creative and beautiful centerpiece! ~Rhonda :)

Pat Harris said...

What a wonderful idea you had. I love it. Can't wait to try it.

Pat Harris said...

What a wonderful idea you had. I love it. Can't wait to try it.

Julie Bagamary said...

This piece is great too.

Tiffany said...

Wow! That is a beautiful piece! Love it. Great job and thanks for sharing the tutorial!

I also LOVE the numbered placemats on your table, did you make those???

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

This is just simply divine! I love it!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

This is just simply divine! I love it!

bj said...

This is a lovely piece. It can be used all thru the year.
I like your placemats, too!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Very cool idea! To feature whatever you desire on the sign is fabulous.

And I raised my eyebrows at that saw! It looks like a mini version of a big one. I'm so into that!

Thanks for linking up!

FJ Donna

{oc cottage} said...

I just LOVE that!

m ^..^

 
Designed by Deluxe Designs